Subscribe Today

For exclusive Immigration Updates newsletter.


new immigrants in Canada every year


new international students every year

SettlePre-ArrivalGet an ECA report in 3 easy steps from World Education Services...

Get an ECA report in 3 easy steps from World Education Services (WES)

Every year, the number of students enrolling in Canada’s top universities and colleges keeps increasing. A Canadian study permit is required to be able to study in Canada. An international student has to apply for this permit with various supporting documents. These documents include the transcripts, which must be equivalent to Canada’s education system. World Education Services (WES) helps the students to evaluate their credentials and get an Educational credential assessment (ECA) report for further processes.

An ECA is also required while applying for permanent residence in Canada through Express Entry. An applicant receives valid CRS points for their educational qualifications only with an ECA report, which authenticates their academic credentials equivalent to the Canadian education system.

In most Canadian institutions, verified academic credentials are accepted in digital or electronic format. It speeds up the processing and also makes it secure.

With a WES ECA an applicant can:

- Advertisement -
  • Meet the requirements of IRCC immigration programs,
  • Gain recognition for their education, and
  • Securely store their report (and verified academic documents) for future use.

What is ECA?

ECA is an Educational credential assessment. It is used to verify a foreign degree, diploma, or certificate (or other proof of your credential). It checks whether the credential is valid and equal to a Canadian one.

There are several types of ECAs. An ECA is needed for immigration purposes as well as for a study permit in Canada. If a candidate has got another type of ECA, they may be able to get it re-issued, depending on the type of ECA and/or issuing organization.

To get a study visa and to be eligible for any immigration program, an ECA report is required. Points for education completed outside Canada are earned only through an ECA report.

It is important to include the ECA report and the reference number in your Express Entry profile. Only then you’ll be able to claim CRS points. A WES ECA is valid for five years from the date of issue. You can continue using it for future Express Entry profiles.

As of November 2020, WES applicants need to submit only their highest completed credential for an ECA.

Who can assess the ECA report?

An organization or a professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) gives you the Educational credential assessment (ECA) report, which authenticates your education equivalency in Canada.

Each designated organization or professional body has its own procedure and processing time for assessment.

Organizations designated by IRCC are:

Professional bodies designated by IRCC are:

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for applicants having certain primary occupation is done by specific professional bodies as under:

  • A Physician (NOC 3111) or general practitioner/family physician (NOC 3112) will get their ECA for primary medical diploma from the Medical Council of Canada (professional body for doctors) (designated: April 17, 2013).
  • Pharmacists (NOC 3131) who need a licence to practice can get their ECA from the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (professional body for pharmacists) (designated: January 6, 2014)

Among these various organizations, World Education Services (WES) is considered the fastest and most cost-effective system and thus, is the most popular organization to get an ECA. It provides various tools, is recognized worldwide for its high-quality, error-free reports, and has an easy 3 step process to get the evaluation done within 7 business days.

What is WES?

World Education Services (WES) is primarily an education assessment organization. It helps international students compare their educational credentials to the equivalent grading levels of Canada or any other country. WES has provided credential evaluations to around 3 million individuals from more than 200 countries since its foundation in 1974. WES Canada is accredited by the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada (ACESC).

There are different kinds of WES evaluation reports depending upon your admission criteria:

  • For freshman University admissions, there’s a Document-by-Document Evaluation.
  • For transfer and graduate university admissions, a Course-by-Course Evaluation is done.
  • Evaluation for Immigration or Education Credential Evaluation (ECA) is done for all other requirements such as study permit, permanent residency, etc.

What are the steps to apply for WES assessment?

  1. Submit your application
    1. Create an account on the official WES website.
    2. Register and fill out the application form requiring all your personal details.
    3. Proofread all details in the application and complete the registration process.
    4. Pay the application fee.
    5. Note down the WES reference number, which has to be included in the documents for the final visa application.
  2. Submit your documents
    1. Submit the required documents after the application submission and from the institution which includes the documents like transcripts, certificates etc.
    2. All transcripts must be in English or French, and must be attested and sealed by a notary.
  3. Get an ECA report
    1. After you submit the documents, WES will verify those with the respective institution to ensure that they are fair and accurate.
    2. An ECA report is created which is sent to the applicant as well as IRCC.

Note : In case of absence of an electronic transmission option at the University, all documents must be submitted in a sealed and attested envelope with a stamp.

Points to Remember


  • Check the required list of documents before starting the process.
  • Keep your WES Reference Number at hand and include it wherever possible.
  • Follow the submission instructions carefully to avoid any delays in the verification process.


  • Give your documents a PIN or an expiry date as it will deny WES access to your documents.
  • Give your personal WES login details to anyone.
  • Send your transcripts from your personal email address. They will not be accepted unless sent from an approved source.


1. What is the WES Digital Badge?

The WES Digital Badge can be used to display your Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report on social media sites such as LinkedIn. It can also be attached to your resume or online job application.
It allows potential employers to access your credential evaluation easily. To get a badge, you must opt for the International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP) from WES

2. What is the International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP)?

With ICAP, you can store your verified transcripts and evaluation report with WES. This helps you save time later. The ICAP also gives you a WES digital badge, which can be displayed on your social media sites.

3. What are my options if my institution won’t send the documents directly to WES?

WES does not accept documents directly from individual applicants. So, you have to contact the institution. The documents must be sealed and attested and need to be sent directly to WES by the institution only.

4. Is ECA required for PNP?

Yes, ECA is required for PNPs. You must have the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report before you receive an invite from the province you applied to.

5. How to renew WES report?

Log into your WES MyAccount and place an order for an “additional report”.

Canadian Visa News
Canadian Visa News
Canadian Visa News is the immigration news network that keeps you updated with all the immigration updates. We are always connected to the Canadian immigration policies, visa updates, and all the official immigration sources.

Get Social


Related Posts

Latest News

More updates